thrifty rent a car - ski car rentals companies
thrifty rent a car depot information
Thrifty Rent a Car Rental Terms for travel between 01-Apr-2017 and 31-Dec-2020
If the Travel Partner has collected the payment for the Rental Services from the Travel Partner Customer but the Travel Partner becomes insolvent or ceases to trade for any reason between the time of the Travel Partner Customer making the booking and the Travel Partner Customer wishing to use the Rental Services and the Travel Partner has not passed the appropriate sums for the performance of the Rental Services to Hertz then Hertz will be under no obligation to provide the rental and the Travel Partner Customer should seek to claim the money and any associated damages from the Travel Partner
Additional Authorized Operator (AAO)
• Additional Authorized Operators (AAO) can be added to the Rental Record locally for $13.50 CAD per day
and must be present with a valid driver’s license. The Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) may not hold
a Canadian driver’s license.
• A maximum of 4 Additional Authorized Operators (AAO) can be added, or less if the number of seatbelts is
less than 4.
Cashless Toll Roads/Bridges
• Customer is responsible for the charges resulting in the use of any cashless toll road or bridge (i.e. 407 ETR,
or bridge i.e. Golden Ears Bridge).
Driver’s License Requirements
• Rates are not valid for Canadian citizens or holders of a Canadian License.
• Renters, including additional drivers, must present a valid driver's license, a return airline ticket and voucher
(Not all accounts have a voucherless programs). We do not accept a copy of license (must be original).
• Drivers must be at least 20 years of age.
• Change of Driver locally - should for any reason renter need to change the driver name at the counter, for
reasons such as forgotten license or credit card, they must both be present, and the new renter must meet
Driving restrictions - Cross Border Rentals
• In most cases, vehicles can be driven in any state in the contiguous United States and Canada.
• Vehicles are permitted to be taken onto ferries. However, if destination of ferry is to a site with gravel or
unpaved roads, use of car is not permitted.
• Vehicles are not permitted to travel into Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, or Mexico.
• It is recommended to have PERS cover when using vehicle in cross border rentals for the USA and Canada.
• Please reference the Dollar & Thrifty Inbound Canada Drop and Intercity Policy Charts for specific intercity
• Hand Controls:
o Hand Controls are devices, which attach to the gas and brake pedals of the vehicle, enabling a
physically challenged person to drive the vehicle without using their legs. Select models of our
vehicles can be adapted with left or right-Hand controls. These are provided free of charge.
o Hand Controls must be requested at the time of booking, so that the mechanics at the location can
fit the Hand Controls to the vehicle for the customer, as it can take up to an hour to fit these
controls onto a vehicle.
o Hand controls are available at airport locations only.
• Steering Balls / Spinner Knobs:
o Steering Balls / Spinner Knob attaches to the steering wheel at specific clock position requested by
client (sent at time of reservation).
o The majority of vehicles can be adapted with Steering Balls/Spinner Knobs and these are provided
free of charge.
o Must be requested at the time of booking to include the clock position for the device, so that the
mechanics at the location can fit in the correct position for the customer.
• Disabled Driving Permits:
o Customers cannot use their own UK Disabled Parking Permit in Canada.
o Upon arrival customers should contact the applicable provincial parking authority to request a
Canadian Disabled Parking Permit.
o Customers are responsible for all fines incurred during the rental, including any fines for parking
in a disabled parking area without obtaining the appropriate Disabled Parking Permit.
Emergency Roadside Service (ERS)
• Basic Emergency Roadside Service for Dollar and Thrifty is included with every rental. This covers
mechanical defects or breakdowns that can occur, when they occur within the approved driving area at no
Extension of Rentals
• You must make a new reservation for the extension rental period. Customer will need to return to location
to renew contract.
• All Locations will have either Neverlost Magellan or NeverLost® Navigator+, not both devices. Neverlost
Magellan’s are not available at NeverLost® Navigator+. locations.
o Customers will not be able to upgrade from Neverlost Magellan to NeverLost® Navigator+ because
a rental location will only have one unit or the other, not both.
o All other locations will offer the Neverlost Magellan portable GPS.
• Missing accessories or broken/lost/stolen units will be the responsibility of the renter and will be charged
at the current replacement rates
• Customers may also purchase GPS inclusive rates.
• Please reference the NeverLost Navigator+ Dollar & Thrifty locations lists (see Appendix). Location list is
subject to change.
NeverLost® Navigator +
• NeverLost® Navigator+ will retail for a fee of $16.99 CAD per day with a 14-day maximum per month.
• Customers can buy 60 phone credits on the device for $8.95 CAD per day.
• Customers can buy the unlimited data that can serve as a hotspot for up to 2 devices for $5.95 CAD per
• Customers will pay our 3rd party vendor directly.
• Toronto Airport will be the only airport in Canada to offer the NeverLost® Navigator+ product.
• Retails for a fee of $14.99 CAD per day with a 14-day maximum per month.
• Retail for a fee of $23.99 CAD per day with no maximum days.
• TravelTab Adventurer will only be at locations with NeverLost® Navigator+.
• Customers will get 60 phone credits per day (30 international minutes or 60 domestic minutes); plus
unlimited data that can serve as a hotspot for up to 5 devices.
• The following airport locations will offer the TravelTab Adventurer: YUL – Montreal, YYC – Calgary, YYZ
– Toronto, YVR – Vancouver, YHZ – Halifax.
Grace Period and Maximum Rental Duration
• A rental day consists of 24 consecutive hours, each day starting at the time of the rental. Extra charges will
apply when the rental exceeds a 24-hour period. The customer will be charged at local rates for the extra
• Tour Operators will be charged for the number of days booked, irrespective of the number of days the
customer actually rents. If the client returns the car early, the Tour Operator will still be charged at the
number of days reserved. Exceptions, such as medical emergencies, death in family, etc., will be handled
subsequently by Customer Relations.
• Rental periods cannot exceed 62 days. If a rental is in excess of 62 days, additional reservations are
necessary to accommodate the total number of days. The number of days reserved for each reservation
may be split up as necessary, as long as no one reservation exceeds 62 days. The rental agreement must
be renewed at a participating location and therefore client must return to location to do so.
• For example, a 70-day rental may be booked on a reservation of 62 days and one of 8 days or may be booked
on a reservation of 40 days and 30 days. Additional reservations/voucher are required for each rental
period, which must be presented at the counter for renewal of the rental record prior to the 63rd day (or
whatever day rental has been split to). If the vehicle is returned to a location other than the original renting
location, drop off charges may apply.
Infant/Toddler/Booster Child Seats
• The daily charge is $13.99 CAD per day, maximum of $98.00 CAD per rental plus taxes and fees.
• Dollar and Thrifty (all brands) require customers to install the child seats themselves.
• Customers are also permitted to use their own car seats.
Fuel Purchase Option (FPO) - Fuel policy
• Client may purchase a tank of fuel at the time of rental at a local competitive price, which eliminates the
need for client to refill before returning.
• For packages with Fuel included renters should return vehicle empty. There is no credit for unused fuel.
• Vehicles are provided with a full tank of fuel, there is no refund for unused fuel. If client has not accepted
the FPO they can return the vehicle with a full tank and must show a gas receipt within 10 kilometres of the
• If you choose to skip the pump, we’ll refuel for you. The Renter is responsible for all fuel used, therefore a
refuelling fee will apply for any amount of fuel not replaced at the time of return based on the amount of
kilometres driven or the amount of litres required to refuel the vehicle times the Refuelling rate as stated
on the Rental Agreement. To use this option just return with less fuel than when you started.
• Unlimited mileage applies to all vehicle rentals.
• Customer must present a valid credit card in the name of the renter. Debit cheque cards, prepaid credit
cards and gift cards, and the small key ring credit cards are not accepted. Cash deposits are not accepted.
• Financial Policy: A major credit card in the renter’s own name must be presented at the time of pick up. At
the time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on the credit card for the estimated amount of all
charges plus 20% or a minimum of $200.00 CAD. These funds will not be available for your use. If
authorization for the estimated charges cannot be obtained the rental will be denied.
• All rentals are subject to meeting license requirements.
• Optional Items such as - child seats, satellite navigation (Garmin GPS, Travel Tabs), optional coverages,
additional drivers, one-way drop-off charges are payable upon arrival and are subject to local taxes and fees
(see further sections for applicable charges).
• Ski Racks are subject to availability in ski areas of Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary. Locations request 24-
• Ski racks retail at $14.00 CAD per day with a maximum of $98.00 CAD per rental.
• A $75.00 CND replacement fee will be charged if equipment is damaged or not returned over and above
• Ski Racks are available at Calgary International Airport (YYC) for car classes: F, L, R, T and T6.
• Ski Racks are available on all rental vehicles at Vancouver International Airport (YVR), except car class A and
• Ski Racks are available at Montreal International Airport (YUL) for car classes: F, L, R, T and T6.
• The customer will be charged the local daily rate, plus a $12.00 CAD (up to a maximum of $60.00 CAD or 5
days) daily fee if they extend their rental beyond 12 hours of the return date/time and does not notify Hertz
by calling 1-800-654-4174.
• The agents will be able to adjust the Rental Agreement and inform the client of any rate changes and
applicable fees, which will be at the local daily rate.
• Early return – there is no refund for unused days.
• Renters may upgrade to another class of vehicle at the time of rental (subject to availability).
• Upgrades are based on supply and demand and renter shall pay directly to Company all charges for such
• Drivers that are twenty years of age, but less than twenty-five years of age will be subject to a supplemental
charge of $30.00 CAD per day plus tax.
• There are age restrictions on select specialty vehicles where driver must be twenty-five years of age to rent,
this is relevant by location. Please check with reservations on the Premium, Luxury, Convertible, Minivans and SUVs.
• Winter rated tires are optional subject to availability at airport counters across Canada (excluding Quebec)
and are not included with any Pre-paid or Tour Voucher as part of “Winterization”.
• The charge for the option is $20.00 CAD per day on Economy to Full Size vehicles, Premium and up are
$25.00 CAN per day. No maximum limit.
• In the province of Quebec, all vehicle fleet are required to be equipped with Winter Tires by law during the
period of December 15th to March 15th. All contracts originating from the province incur a daily Tire
Management Fee of $2.81 CAD per day. This is a year-round fee.
• Winter Tires are not required on roadways in the City of Vancouver, or on the Lower Mainland highways,
but are required on the Sea-to-Sky, as well as routes north and east of Hope, and on many major highways
in the British Columbia Interior and northern regions.
• All vehicles during this period will come equipped with M+S tires as standard in this region. Only commercial
vehicles greater than 27,000 GVW must carry chains along these routes, but trucks between 5,500 kg and
27,000 kg GVW may use M+S or mountain/snowflake tires in lieu of chains, if available.
• During the Winter season, all vehicles include an ice scraper/snow brush free of charge.
Taxes and Fees
• Government surcharges, taxes, tax reimbursement and optional items such as refueling or additional
driver’s fees are payable to Dollar / Thrifty at time of rental, unless specifically included and noted in the
rates. All taxes and other fees are subject to change without notice.
• Even if stated as included in the net rate, extra charges including but not limited to concession recovery fee
and state tax may apply to any additional items purchased at the counter or any extra charges incurred by
the rental at time of drop off.
• Luxury Tax:
o This tax is only applicable in British Columbia on Car Class G & I and ranges from 1-3% depending
on the vehicle value.
• Provincial Sales Tax (PST) & Goods and Services Tax (GST):
o Provincial Sales Tax varies by Province. The Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is used in certain provinces
to combine the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) and the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) into a single,
blended, sales tax. See chart below. Correct at time of printing, October 01, 2016.
o Note: Please take into consideration the values below are for informational purposes only and they
may vary by location.
List of Taxes, Fees and other charges consists of, but is not limited to, the following:
Tax Rates per Province/Territory
|Province/Territory||Type||GST (%)||PST (%)||HST (%)|
|British Columbia||GST + PST||5.00%||7||0|
|Manitoba||GST + PST||5.00%||8||0|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||HST||0||0||13%|
Tax Rates per Province/Territory
|Province/Territory||Type||GST (%)||PST (%)||HST (%)|
|Prince Edward Island||HST||0||0||14%|
|Quebec||QGST + QST||5.00%||9.975||0|
|Saskatchewan||GST + PST||5.00%||5||0|
• Concession Fee Recovery (CFR) Or Concession Pass through Fee:
o This fee is to reimburse Dollar/Thrifty for concession fee recovery required to operate at airports
and other locations. This fee varies by location and is charged for each rental.
• Vehicle Licensing Fee (VLF):
o This fee is for Dollar / Thrifty’s recovery of the proportionate amount of the vehicle licensing fees
applicable to the rental. VLF is levied to all customers at all Canadian locations and varies by city.
• Air Conditioning Surcharge (Ac Fee):
o Vehicle manufacturers pay a federal excise tax on all Air Conditioners installed in vehicles and pass
this cost on to Dollar/Thrifty. The Air Conditioner Surcharge is Dollar / Thrifty’s recovery of this fee.
• Energy Surcharge:
o Separate and apart from the costs of fueling rental vehicles, energy costs represent a substantial
portion of Dollar/Thrifty operating expenses. To offset the significant costs of utility charges, bus
fuel, oil and grease, and related costs, Dollar/Thrifty is separately imposing an Energy Surcharge.
This charge is not intended to reflect a precise measure of Dollar/Thrifty’s actual energy costs
incurred to serve a particular customer.
• Customer Facility Charges (CFC):
o A bylaw has been issued which states that every person that enters into a rental agreement with
an on-airport operator to rent shall pay to the Calgary airport a daily ‘Customer Facility Charge.
o Note: This fee does not apply as an extra charge to programs that are already inclusive of
Waivers and Insurance
• When the rental vehicle is used in accordance with all the terms and conditions of the rental agreement,
Dollar/Thrifty provides the standard provisions of a basic automobile liability insurance policy, coverage of
at least minimum provincial statutory limits for bodily injury or death and property damage for the
customer’s legal liability to others including passengers.
• Liability Protection up to a combined single limit of $1,000,000 CAD per accident for bodily injury or
property damage is included on a primary basis (i.e. Dollar/Thrifty' Primary Liability Protection will respond
first to claims by third parties for bodily injury and/or property damage before any applicable insurance
which the customer, authorized operator, or additional authorized operator may have). However, where
permitted by applicable law, the protection described above will be secondary to the customer's insurance
and the insurance of the operator of the car.
• For complete details of available protection plans - refer to the Dollar / Thrifty “Peace of Mind Options”
brochure available at Dollar / Thrifty Rental Counters.
Damage Deductible Waiver (DDW):
• DDW is available on Tour rentals or LDW inclusive rates in Canada only.
• DDW removes the customer’s responsibility for the deductible when renting on a tour or when an inclusive
rate that includes LDW with a deductible.
• DDW only applies to the days covered by the tour or LDW inclusive rate and will terminate if the customer
keeps the vehicle beyond the tour or rate period.
• $11.99 CAD per day, ($8.99 per day for Underage Renters) covers the damage waiver up to $500 CAD.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW):
• LDW is an optional service that holds the renter or authorized driver’s responsible only for the deductible
amount, if any, for loss of or damage to the rental vehicle, if the vehicle is used in accordance with the terms
and conditions of the rental contract. If LDW is not purchased, the renter will be responsible regardless of
fault for the full value of the vehicle at the time of rental, less its salvage value, plus expenses for towing,
storage, impound fees, an administrative charge, and a reasonable charge for loss of use.
• LDW may be included in some Tour Rates, consult with your Travel Agent or Tour Operator for details. If
LDW is included in the Tour Rate the standard deductible is $500.00. To reduce the deductible to $0.00, a
Deductible Waiver (DDW) may then be purchased at the counter at time of rental.
• If LDW is not included in the Tour Rate, LDW may be purchased at the counter at time of rental. The cost of
LDW may vary depending upon car type.
Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS):
• Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS) covers costs for services required to remedy the following
customer induced problems or problems resulting from an accident / collision, or any problem occurring
outside the approved driving area, however are passed on to the customer, as following: Keys locked in the
Car, Lost Key Service, Left Lights On/Dead Battery, Out of Gas Service, Spare Tire Mounting Service and
more. For full list of benefits please inquire at time of rental. PERS can be purchased at the counter for
$8.99 CND per day.
• It also covers travel interruption reimbursements up to $1000.00 CAD for certain expenses incurred when
a vehicle has been involved in collision.
• Cost is $8.99 CAD per day plus taxes and fees.
• This towing and support service is country specific so would only include coverage when travelling within
the US or Canada.
Personal Accident Insurance:
• Allows customer to elect accidental death and accident medical expense coverage for renter and
passengers during the rental period of the vehicle. If this coverage is accepted at a price of approximately
$7.95 CAD per day, the benefits for the renter will apply to all accidental injuries during the rental period,
the renter is covered in or out of the rental vehicle. Passenger(s) are covered while entering, exiting, or
occupying the rental vehicle.
Benefits Schedule * Renter Each Passenger
Accidental Death $100,000 CAD $10,000 CAD
o Total Benefit for any one accident is limited to $250,000 CAD.
o Please Note: PAI & PEC is not available at any Quebec and Alberta locations.
Personal Effects Coverage (P&C):
• PEC is an option that insures against risk of loss or damage to help protect customer’s personal belongings
while renting from Dollar / Thrifty. PEC insurance coverage includes those personal effects owned by
customer and those members of his or her immediate family traveling with customer during the rental who
are permanent residents of the customer’s household. PEC does not extend to non-family members
traveling with customer.
• PEC Coverage Limits:
o The maximum coverage for each covered individual during the rental period is $500 after a
deductible of $25 is applied. The maximum coverage for all individuals during the rental period is
$1,500 involving a maximum of 3 occupants of the car after application of the deductible.
o In the event any claims are made under the Policy, coverage for succeeding claims during the same
rental will be reduced by the amount of the claim paid.
• Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) & Personal Effects Coverage (PEC) – Must be purchased together
• The following Canada Locations offer NeverLost Navigator +
o TORONTO PEARSON - INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (YYZ), VANCOUVER INTL AP (YVR), Montreal
International Airport (YUL), CALGARY AP (YYC),
• The following Canada Locations offer TravelTab Adventurer
o TORONTO PEARSON - INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (YYZ), VANCOUVER INTL AP (YVR), Montreal
International Airport (YUL), CALGARY AP (YYC),
Please Note: Information provided in this document correct at time of issue, includes overview of the Dollar & Thrifty optional services.
Cost and conditions of all options/taxes/fees/surcharges are subject to change without notice. Optional items are plus taxes and fees relevant to location/state.
Terms of booking on this website
The rates on this website are often heavily discounted. This is due to our negotiated rates and bulk buying power. On very rare occasions, a rate may be displayed incorrectly due to our, or a vehicle supplier's error. In such a case, if you book with us at a quoted rate that is incorrect, we will notify you of any price change and give you the option to proceed or cancel. We make every effort to keep information on our site up to date, but we cannot guarantee this website is free of errors or omissions and retain the right to update or change the information published at any time.
To the extent permitted by law we/the owners of this website will not be liable to you or to any third party (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage (including but not limited to any accident, injury, delay or loss of enjoyment) arising out of your reliance upon information contained on this website, including but not limited to your use (or inability to use) any products or services described or procured through this website.
When you pick up your vehicle, you will be required to sign a rental agreement with the supplier of the vehicle. Your rental and use of the vehicle will be governed by the terms of the rental agreement and any other documentation or information provided to you by the supplier at the time you pick up your vehicle. The rental agreement is between you and the supplier and we will not be liable to you or to any third party in relation to the terms of the supplier's rental agreement or any other documentation provided to you by the supplier at the time of pick up.
While we will make reasonable efforts to ensure we are representing only reputable suppliers, we make no warranty about the fitness or suitability of any third party (supplier) product or service and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness of any vehicle. We welcome feedback from our customers on their experience with our suppliers. We may, at our discretion, provide you with reasonable assistance in resolving any dispute you may have with a supplier.
Our total liability to you in relation to your use of this website and the information contained on this website will not exceed the dollar amount of the deposit we have received from you in relation to your booking/rental. Refunds will not be made for bookings cancelled due to inclement weather. Again, we strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance. Your use of this website is governed by the laws of New Zealand and the jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts.
To make a booking you must complete our booking form which is easy to follow and secured with the latest encryption technology. Once we receive your form, we will, subject to availability, confirm your booking by emailing you a confirmation voucher and invoice.
If you are booking via phone, please make sure you have read the terms and conditions of the vehicle you wish to rent first. Our reservations consultant will ask you if you have read the terms and agree to them before proceeding. The onus is always on the renter to ensure they make themselves fully aware of the terms displayed on our website.
In booking on this website you acknowledge that we disclose your information to your selected Supplier in order to provide the requested rental services.
Vehicle capacity and fitness to drive
Under no circumstances are you permitted to carry more passengers than the vehicle you rent is legally registered to carry, and if you do your insurance may be invalidated. The number of seatbelts (and passengers) is indicated next to each vehicle on this website. Luggage capacity where shown is an indication only and we will not be responsible should you be unable to fit your entire luggage into a vehicle. It is your responsibility to choose a journey that is within your capabilities. A vehicle supplier can refuse to rent a vehicle to any person who is in their opinion unfit to drive or does not meet eligibility requirements. In such circumstances we will have no further liability to you.
In the event of cancellation, any deposit amounts paid at the time of booking are non-refundable.
If you are unsatisfied with our service, please contact us within 48 hours of placing your booking or request and we will work to resolve any issues and determine if compensation is due. In the event you have completed your rental and are unhappy with your vehicle, we are happy to assist you in seeking compensation from the operator of the vehicle.
This website is owned and operated by Online Republic Ltd. Our financial centre and marketing office is based at Level 5, 12 Madden Street, Wynyard Quarter, Auckland, New Zealand. In Australia, we are based at Suite 3.01, 11 Queens Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004. Thank you for booking with us.